10 Ways to Increase Your Confidence
By Tom Blake of Third Age
As a ThirdAger, do you feel invisible or unnoticed by other singles? Do men pass over you for someone younger? Here are 10 ways to get over your feelings of neglect and put confidence back in your step.
1. Realize you're not alone. In this country, there are 33 million singles over the age of 45. At age 50, there are four single women for each single man. At age 60, the ratio is five to one. At 70, it's six or seven to one. You can't change the ratio; it's a fact of life and it has nothing to do with you. There's not a man in your life because there's simply a shortage of men.
2. Give your attitude a face lift. You know that there are a lot of great women without a mate. You know you're good, and you know a man would be lucky to have you.
3. Don't make finding a mate your top priority. Make yourself the top priority. Get a facial or a massage. Take a cruise. Just treat yourself!
4. Get involved in an activity that interests you. Revitalize yourself. Learn something new and become good at it.
5. Don't beat yourself up. Avoid singles functions and events where you know the ratio is going to be 10 women for every man. Who wouldn't get depressed at an event like that?
6. Try new things. By increasing your zest for life and getting out among people, you'll eliminate any feelings of single neglect. Join a club. Volunteer your time to help someone else. Take those long neglected college classes.
7. Adopt an exercise program and stick to it. This can mean just walking strenuously and using light weights. Do this not to meet a mate -- though it does put you out among people -- but for yourself and for your health.
8. Change your thinking. It's not only OK but wise for women to be more assertive when it comes to meeting men. If you see a guy you'd like to meet, ask him for coffee. Don't let opportunity pass because you're shy.
9. Appreciate your freedom. Don't think your life isn't complete because you're not in a relationship. The divorce rate for second and third marriages is around 70 percent. Who wants to be a part of those stats?
10. Develop a nice circle of friends. Having people to share activities with takes the sting out of loneliness.